Signs and Symptoms
The signs and symptoms in a baby affected by Rh incompatibility can range from mild to severe.
- The baby can appear pale and lethargic.
- High heart rate and fast breathing.
- Swelling in areas where fluid has accumulated.
Complications of Rh Incompatibility
● Anemia- as RBCs breakdown excessively
● Fluid buildup- due to heart failure
● Jaundice- increased bilirubin in the body
● Still birth
To the Newborn
● Hemolytic disease of the newborn
● Kernicterus (bilirubin toxicity affecting the brain)
Long term consequences of Rh disease cerebral palsy among other neurological deficits,
deafness, blindness and heart disease.
Signs and Symptoms of Hearing Loss in Babies
Due to the serious nature of the sickness, it can be a physical, mental and emotional toll on the family in addition to the baby affected by Rh incompatibility.